[Updated Feb 2024)

Many 16 and 17 year olds who have been 'looked after away from home' by the local authority cannot get universal credit. Instead, the local authority which last looked after them is responsible for providing financial and housing support.

This briefing, produced by the Child Poverty Action Group (CPAG) Scotland and Staf explains the special benefits rules affecting some young care leavers.

Find out more by clicking on the link below:

Care experienced young people and benefits: giving good advice 

Factsheet for Care Experienced Students