Staf has compiled information and resources regarding coronavirus (COVID-19) in Scotland particularly for care-experienced young people and those who support them. 

We know that for young people with care-experience, who may not have strong support networks, this will be a potentially overwhelming, isolating and anxious time. To help, we've put together a collection of resources including advice for young people; public health information; housing and benefit advice; and hardship funds. 

The current Government advice is as follows:

Stay at home

  • Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (where this absolutely cannot be done from home)
  • Stay 2 metres (6ft) away from other people
  • Wash your hands as soon as you get home

Remember, anyone can spread the virus.

What is the latest government advice? 

The latest advice from the Scottish Government and UK Government is available at these links. 


What support is there for young people and those with care experience? 

Young Scot has provided an online resource with a range of advice and support for young people on coronavirus.

Who Cares? Scotland are providing a dedicated telephone support for care-experienced young people.


What is the latest health advice on the virus?

Latest health advice, on protecting yourself and others, is provided by NHS Inform. This includes what to do if you or your family have symptoms.


Where can I find support if I am stressed or worried about coronavirus? 

SAMH and See Me have provided information and advice on how to look after your mental health.

Mind has provided information on coronavirus and your wellbeing.

For those supporting young people, Dr Bruce Perry has provided a resources page for dealing with stress and coronavirus.


Where can I get advice about benefits, housing or paying bills? 

The DWP has provided advice on Universal Credit including what to do if you have a new claim or need sick pay. You can find out what benefits you're entitled to by using this impartial benefits calculator. Citizens Advice can give you advice on making benefit claims on this number 0800 023 2581.

Citizens Advice Scotland has provided advice on what to do if your employer has told you not to work. 

Shelter Scotland has provided information on your housing rights and support, including what to do if you're worried about paying your rent.

Energy providers have put emergency measure in place to ensure people affected by coronavirus do not get cut off. If you're worried about gas or electric bills, contact your supplier or get free advice from Home Energy Scotland on 0808 808 2282.

For general advice about benefits, work or money issues you can get advice from Citizen's Advice Scotland.


Are any emergency funds available?

The Scottish Welfare Fund is available for emergency financial support for living costs through your local council.

Discretionary Housing Payments are available to help if you rent your home, and you get Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, but still can't afford your housing costs.

Aberlour Urgent Assistance Fund financial support for young people (21 and under) experiencing extreme hardship due to coronavirus.

If you are able please also consider donating to Who Cares? Scotland and Aberlour, both organisations are providing financial support, advice and guidance to care experienced young people and families through this pandemic. 


A free helpline has been set up by the government for people who do not have symptoms but are looking for general advice: 0800 028 2816

Staf members can contact us for further advice on 0141 465 7511 or [email protected]


This page was last updated on the 4th May 2020